Precious Barkday"s Ticker

Monday, August 13, 2007

Lunar Seventh Month

Hi my dear friends, a short annoucement here. Well, my sista is starting school from this week until a freaking long 4 months later! She said she might not be able to help with my blog as frequent as she did. But but, don't worry, I'll still be here and I'll do my best to blog and catch up with all your blogs often. Promise. Hee.

So today is a special day for the Chinese. It is the starting of the Hungry Ghost Festival. This takes place every year during the Lunar 7th month *according to chinese calender*. During this whole month, it is believed that all the 'good brothers and sisters' will be released from hell to enjoy their time on earth. Prayers, and offerings such as food, joss sticks, hell money and accessories, etc will be burned to them.

This evening, when I went downstairs for my usual walk, I was curious with all the burnings by the hoomans. However, Sista doesn't let me walk anywhere near the offerings for fear I'll step or play with them. She said that will be disrespectful. Ok, so being a good girl, I just sit one side and watch.

Curious me watching...


Till I caught sight of a bird. Let me at it! Woof~


This lil' birdie actually gave me a shock. It dropped, yes dropped, in front of me and lay still on its back with it's neck twisted in a weird angle and I thought it was dead. But sista held on tight to my leash saying the lil' birdie is still breathing. After a minute or two, the lil' birdie suddenly flipped itself and stood in the position as shown in the pic above. It stayed unmoving for another three or four minute and I was like, let me at it NOW! Finally, sista brought me alittle closer but not close enough to bite it. I was so excited, I kept pulling on my leash. This scared the lil' birdie and it flew off. Awwww, there goes my toy. Sista was relieved to see the lil' birdy alright thou. Hmph!

24 comments:

Boo Casanova said...

hey precious, i heard during this hungry ghost month, the good brothers and sisters like to target cute little silkie... you might not want to go out at all! kekekekeke.

wet wet licks

Boo

Goofy said...

Hey Boo!!! Please do not scared this cute little Miss Precious...

But hey, Precious, be careful anyway... Wakakakakakakaka

I even heard that doggies do bark more in this month, isit true?? Bark on top of our voices then!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOF

Huskee and Hershey said...

Hi Precious,
Yah yah.. my mom told me that I should not 'anyhow pee' this month in case 'they' are there.. so now I have to say 'excuse me' before i wee wee...

Gwyn Valentine said...

My mum warn me not to anyhow bark at nite coz that will scare her hehehe

Oh, your mum should let u go check the bird out, i am pretty sure you will give the bird your healing licks!

Love,
Reina

Girl Girl Hamster said...

Oh good thing I dont go for walkies downstairs. The other doggies are making it sound scary.
Good thing the birdie is ok, you'll be nice to it right?


~ Girl girl

Anonymous said...

Hi Precious, you sure are cute! *woof*

ToFFee said...

Hi Precious..

I got really scared by that.. maybe the bird is being possessed and will lure you to get near her...

Wuffs!
Toffee
now I'm scared again..

Lizzy said...

Lizzy seems relieved that the bird is okay, but I would have eaten it all up.

Sparky

Anonymous said...

what on earth happened to that little birdie?? acrobatics??

i haven't been downstairs yet, but i can't imagine all that ash flying around and landing on me.

love..
chiyo

Snowball said...

Hi Precious,

Daddy got very uneasy when he brought me downstairs for my before bed pee as I was barking at the air and even the air across the road.

Daddy says that its a good thing for me to be wearing a collar with a bell now as I will announce my arrive to "anything" present...

Anyway, I do weird things during the 7th lunar month since I was a pup so jie jie is not too keen to bring me out at night alone... hee hee..

Luv
Snowball

Kien said...

oh precious.. u have to be extra careful during the month of 7.. dun go out too much.. hehehe...

Love
Golden Rossi

Amber-Mae said...

Oh yes! I forgot about the Hungry Ghost Festival tonight...Ooooo, just remember this. When someone calls your name(or your hoomans names) from behind, never look back. Just ignore it & continue walking...And like Rossi said, don't venture out to late at night coz the ghosts are just trying to find oportunities to 'kacau' you & your hoomans.

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Myeo said...

We hope the little birdie is alright. We bet you just wanted to give it a little kiss, tats all.

Love
Boy n Baby

Toby said...

Oh let me at that birdie!!! I am exactly like you and my mom won't let me chase birdies either. They are such party poopers!

Tobes

Luckie Girl said...

Hey Precious ~
My Mom's sista also started school this week. I wonder if you go to the same school as her? hehe....
Talking abt the 7th month, I suddenly woke up at 3am last night and started barking like crazy. My hoomans were freaked out cos I never wake up at night usually. Oopsie...

Lorenza said...

Hi, Precious.
The Hungry Ghost Festival sounds scary. Be careful!
Poor birdie. I hope he is ok!
We will be waiting for your posts!
Have a good night
Lorenza

Anonymous said...

I'll miss you while you're gone but will keep checking back to see what you're up to!!

Is the bird ok?

River

fee said...

must stay away from birds!!! they might have avian flu!

Urban Smoothie Read said...

hungry ghost around?

then i better stay @ home..

Bella said...

Gee I've never heard of this Hungry Ghost Festival - does it last all of the 7th Lunar month?
It sounds a bit scarey, don't go out alone.
I think the little bird was a special one that pretends to be dead, then when the threat is gone it gets up & flies away.
Wuffs
Bella

Simba and Jazzi said...

Good luck to your sister at school. I hope we still hear from you.

Simba x

Oscar's mummy and daddy said...

Reading about the hungry ghost festival was interesting. I'm glad the little birdie was OK.

Katy x

umekotyan said...

The enjoyment of blog is shared.
Slowly, hold out.
I also am holding out slowly though daily chores are busy.
The friend is a happy secret that continues. ;)
Japan is a season of Bon Festival.

from loved ume tyan

Jackson's J1 and J2 said...

Hey, that Hungry Ghost Festival sounds interesting!

Thanks so much for the lovely e-card! You're a real pal!

J x